10 - 13 May 2022, 12.00 - 16.00 CEST
Online via Zoom
Fee This online training event has no fee
The course is highly interactive and hence it is important that you, as a participant, actively contribute to all sessions and elements of the course.
This course is suited for whoever is interested in becoming a trainer/instructor, or improving their training skills. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching/training?
- How can I make my teaching/training more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching/training to different types of learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
By participating you will be agreeing to the ELIXIR Code of Conduct.
During this course, you will learn about:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Design and plan session, course, materials
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and use training techniques that can help enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Design a training session and a course
- Develop assessment questionnaires
- Enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
The entire course will be given over Zoom. A link to the Zoom session will be emailed out to all participants prior to the course.
We do not require you to buy a companion book, all material will be provided during the course.
We will accept a maximum of 20 participants. Priority will be given to applicants from institutes and organisations across the Nordic research community and to participants from Nordic ELIXIR nodes.
There is no course attendance fee. You can register for the course here.
Deadline for applying to the course is 3rd of April. You will receive notification regarding acceptance to the course or if you are on the reserve list no later than one week after the closing of the registration.
Note! If you are accepted and decide not to attend without communicating the reason for the no-show with us, we will invoice a no-show-fee of 200 Euros. The invoicing information needs to be included in the registration in order to guarantee your spot in the training event, if you are to be accepted. By giving the invoice information you hereby confirm that the group leader/PI/manager has given a consent regarding your possible participation in the Training event. NOTE – Uppsala University cannot invoice individuals.
The session hours are in Central European Summer Time (CEST) zone.
|Date||Date and Time||Content|
|12.00 - 12.30||Introductions, who is who and what we need to achieve|
|12.30 - 16.00||
[Session 1]: Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
|May 11||12.00 - 16.00||[Session 2]: Design and plan session, course, materials|
|May 12||12.00 - 16.00||[Session 3]: Training techniques that to enhance learner engagement and participation|
|May 13||12.00 - 15.30||[Session 4]: Assessment and feedback in training and teaching|
|15.30 - 16.00||Wrap-up and feedback|
Jessica Lindvall (ELIXIR-SE Training Coordinator, NBIS, Sweden)
Nina Norgren (ELIXIR-SE, Training Coordinator, NBIS, Sweden)
Nazeefa Fatima (ELIXIR-NO, Data Steward, UiO, Norway)
Erik Hjerde (ELIXIR-NO, Training Coordinator, UiT, Norway)
Priit Adler (ELIXIR-EE, Trainer, UT, Estonia)
Allegra Via (ELIXIR-IT, Training Coordinator, IBPM-CNR, IT)
Patricia Palagi (ELIXIR-CH, Training coordinator, SIB)
For queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of course schedule and basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the 'Edit' link at the top.